- Allen, Polly Reynolds, 1973, "A Portfolio Approach to International Capital
Flows," Journal of International Economics, 3, 135-160.
- Almon, Shirley, 1965, "The Distributed Lag Between Capital Appropriations
and Expenditures," Econometrica, 33, 178-196.
- Altug, Sumru, 1989, "Time-to-Build and Aggregate Fluctuations: Some New
Evidence," International Economic Review, 30, 889-920.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1982, "The Two Stage Least Absolute Deviations
Estimators," Econometrica, 50, 689-711.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1993, "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First
Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, 61, 139-165.
- __________, and Ray C. Fair, 1988, "Inference in Nonlinear Econometric
Models with Structural Change," Review of Economic Studies, 55, 615-640.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., and Werner Ploberger, 1994, "Optimal Tests When a
Nuisance Parameter is Present Only Under the Alternative," Econometrica, 62.
- Arrow, Kenneth, 1991, "Cowles in the History of Economic Thought," in Cowles
Fiftieth Anniversary, Yale University.
- Barro, Robert J., 1977, "Unanticipated Money Growth and Unemployment in the
United States," American Economic Review, 67, 101-115.
- Barro, Robert J., and Herschel I. Grossman, 1971, "A General Disequilibrium
Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, 61, 82-93.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986, "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income
Correlation," in Karl Brunner and Allan H. Meltzer, eds, Real Business Cycles,
Real Exchange Rates and Actual Policies, Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Black, Stanley W., 1973, International Money Markets and Flexible Exchange
Rates, Studies in International Finance, No. 32, Princeton: Princeton University
- Blanchard, Olivier J., and Mark W. Watson, 1986, "Are Business Cycles All
Alike?" in Robert J. Gordon, ed., The American Business Cycle: Continuity and
Change, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Blinder, Alan, 1981, "Retail Inventory Behavior and Business
Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 443-505.
- Branson, William H., 1974, "Stocks and Flows in International Monetary
Analysis," in A. Ando, R. Herring, and R. Martson, eds., International Aspects of
Stabilization Policies, Boston: Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 27-50.
- Canova, F., M. Finn, and A.R. Pagan, 1991, "Econometric Issues in the
Analysis of Equilibrium Models," paper given at the Canadian Econometric Study Group
meeting, Quebec City, September.
- Carloyzi, Nicholas, and John B. Taylor, 1985, "International Capital
Mobility in the Coordination of Monetary Policy Rules," in Jagdeep Bandhari, ed., Exchange
Rate Policy under Uncertainty, Cambridge: M.I.T Press.
- Chong, Yock Y., and David F. Hendry, 1986, "Econometric Evaluation of Linear
Macro-Econometric Models," Review of Economic Studies, 53, 671-690.
- Chow, Gregory C., 1991, "Statistical Estimation and Testing of a Real
Business Cycle Model," mimeo, August 30.
- Christ, Carl F., 1968, "A Simple Macroeconomic Model with a Government
Budget Restraint," Journal of Political Economy, 76, 53-67.
- Christiano, Lawrence J., and Martin Eichenbaum, 1990, "Current Real Business
Cycle Theories and Aggregate Labor Market Fluctuations," Discussion Paper 24,
Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics.
- Clower, Robert W., 1965, "The Keynesian Counterrevolution: A Theoretical
Appraisal," in F. H. Hahn and F. P. R. Brechling, eds., The Theory of Interest
Rates, London: Macmillian.
- Cooper, J. Phillip, and Charles R. Nelson, 1975, "The Ex-Ante Prediction
Performance of the St. Louis and FRB-MIT-Penn Econometric Models and Some Results on
Composite Predictions," Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 7, 1-32.
- Cumby, Robert E., John Huizinga, and Maurice Obstfeld, 1983, "Two-Step
Two-Stage Least Squares Estimation in Models with Rational Expectations," Journal
of Econometrics, 21, 333-355.
- Davidson, Russell, and James G. MacKinnon, 1981, "Several Tests of Model
Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," % Econometrica,
- DeLong, J. Bradford and Lawrence H. Summers, 1986, "Is Increased Price
Flexibility Stabilizing?", American Economic Review, 78, 1031-1043.
- Diebold, Francis X., and Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1989, "Scoring the Leading
Indicators," Journal of Business, 62, 369-391.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976, "Capital Mobility, Flexible Exchange Rates and
Macroeconomic Equilibrium," in E. Claassen and P. Salin, eds., Recent
Developments in International Monetary Economics, Amsterdam: North-Holland, 261-278.
- Duesenberry, James S., Gary Fromm, Lawrence R. Klein, and Edwin Kuh, eds., 1965, The
Brookings Quarterly Econometric Model of the United States, Chicago: Rand McNally
- __________, 1969, The Brookings Model: Some Further Results, Chicago:
Rand McNally \& Company.
- Easterlin, Richard A., 1987, Birth and Fortune: The Impact of Numbers on
Personal Welfare, 2nd ed., Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Fair, Ray C., 1969, The Short-Run Demand for Workers and Hours,
North-Holland Publishing Co.
- __________, 1974, A Model of Macroeconomic Activity. Volume I: The
Theoretical Model, Ballinger Publishing Co.
- __________, 1976, A Model of Macroeconomic Activity. Volume II: The Empirical
Model, Ballinger Publishing Co.
- __________, 1978, "The Sensitivity of Fiscal-Policy Effects to Assumptions
About the Behavior of the Federal Reserve," Econometrica, 46, 1165-1179.
- __________, 1979a, "A Model of the Balance of Payments," % Journal
of International Economics, 9, 25-46.
- __________, 1979b, "An Analysis of a Macro-Econometric Model with Rational
Expectations in the Bond and Stock Markets," The American Economic Review,
- __________, 1980a, "Estimating the Expected Predictive Accuracy of
Econometric Models," International Economic Review, 21, 355-378.
- __________, 1980b, "Estimating the Uncertainty of Policy Effects in
Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometrica, 48, 1381-1391.
- __________, 1984, Specification, Estimation, and Analysis of Macroeconometric
Models, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- __________, 1985, "Excess Labor and the Business Cycle," % The
American Economic Review, 75, 239-245.
- __________, 1987, "International Evidence on the Demand for Money," The
Review of Economics and Statistics, 69, 473-480.
- __________, 1988a, "Sources of Economic Fluctuations in the United
States," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 103, 313-332.
- __________, 1988b, "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a
Macroeconometric Model," Journal of Monetary Economics, 22, 301-315.
- __________, 1989, "The Production Smoothing Model is Alive and Well," Journal
of Monetary Economics, 23, 353-370.
- __________, 1992, "The Cowles Commission Approach, Real Business Cycles
Theories, and New Keynesian Economics," in Michael T. Belongia and Michelle R.
Garfinkel, eds., The Business Cycle: Theories and Evidence, Federal Reserve Bank
of St. Louis, 133-147.
- __________, 1993a, "Inflationary Expectations and Price Setting
Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, 75, 8-18.
- __________, 1993b, "Testing the Rational Expectations Hypothesis in
Macroeconometric Models," Oxford Economic Papers, 45, 169-190.
- __________, 1993c, "Estimating Event Probabilities in Macroeconometric
Models using Stochastic Simulation," in James H. Stock and Mark W. Watson, eds., Business
Cycles, Indicators, and Forecasting, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press,
- __________, 1993d, "Testing Macroeconometric Models," The American
Economic Review, 83, 287-293.
- __________, 1994a, "Computing Median Unbiased Estimates and Examining
Asymptotic Distribution Accuracy in Macroeconometric Models," mimeo.
- __________, 1994b, "Is Monetary Policy Becoming Less Effective?" mimeo.
- __________, and Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1991, "Effects of the Changing U.S.
Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," The American Economic Review,
- Fair, Ray C., and Robert J. Shiller, 1989, "The Informational Content of Ex
Ante Forecasts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, 71, 325-331.
- __________, 1990, "Comparing Information in Forecasts from Econometric
Models," The American Economic Review, 80, 375-389.
- Fair, Ray C., and William R. Parke, 1993, "The Fair-Parke Program for the
Estimation and Analysis of Nonlinear Econometric Models," mimeo.
- Fair, Ray C., and John B. Taylor, 1983, "Solution and Maximum Likelihood
Estimation of Dynamic Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, 51,
- __________, 1990, "Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of
Models with Rational Expectations," % Journal of Applied Econometrics, 5,
- Fay, Jon A., and James L. Medoff, 1985, "Labor and Output Over the Business
Cycle: Some Direct Evidence," American Economic Review, 75, 638-655.
- Flow of Funds Coded Tables, 1992, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve
System, January, Washington, D.C., 20551.
- Frenkel, Jacob A., and Harry G. Johnson, eds., 1976, The Monetary Approach to
the Balance of Payments, Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Frenkel, Jacob A., and Carlos A. Rodrigues, 1975, "Portfolio Equilibrium and
the Balance of Payments: A Monetary Approach," American Economic Review, 65,
- Friedman, Benjamin M., and Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1992, "Money, Income, Prices,
and Interest Rates," American Economic Review, 82, 472-492.
- __________, 1993, "Why Does the Paper-Bill Spread Predict Real Economic
Activity?" in James H. Stock and Mark W. Watson, eds., Business Cycles,
Indicators, and Forecasting, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 213-249.
- Girton, Lance, and Dale W. Henderson, 1976, "Financial Capital Movements and
Central Bank Behavior in a Two-Country Portfolio Balance Model," Journal of
Monetary Economics, 2, 33-61.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977, "Temporary General Equilibrium Theory," Econometrica,
- Granger, Clive W. J., and Paul Newbold, 1986, Forecasting Economic Time
Series, 2nd ed., New York: Academic Press.
- Hall, Robert E., 1978, "Stochastic Implications of the Life-Cycle Permanent
Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, 86,
- Hall, Robert E., 1986, "The Role of Consumption in Economic
Fluctuations," in Robert J. Gordon, ed., The American Business Cycle: Continuity
and Change, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Hamilton, James D., 1983, "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War
II," Journal of Political Economy, 91, 228-248.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982, "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of
Moments Estimators," Econometrica, 50, 1029-1054.
- __________, and Kenneth Singleton, 1982, "Generalized Instrumental Variables
Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, 50,
- Heckman, James J., 1992, "Haavelmo and the Birth of Modern Econometrics: A
Review of The History of Econometric Ideas by Mary Morgan," Journal of
Economic Literature, 30, 876-886.
- Hendry, David F., 1988, "The Encompassing Implications of Feedback Versus
Feedforward Mechanisms in Econometrics," Oxford Economic Papers, 40,
- __________, Adrian R. Pagan, and J. Denis Sargan, 1984, "Dynamic
Specifications," in Z. Griliches and M. D. Intriligator, eds., Handbook of
Econometrics, Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1023-1100.
- Hendry, David F., and Jean-Francois Richard, 1982, "On the Formulation of
Empirical Models in Dynamic Economics," Journal of Econometrics, 20, 3-33.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1950, "Least-Squares Bias in Time Series," in T. C.
Koopmans, ed., Statistical Inference in Dynamic Economic Models, Cowles
Commission Monograph No. 10, New York: John Wiley \& Sons, Inc., 365-383.
- King, Stephen R., "Is Increased Price Flexibility Stabilizing?:
Comment," 1988, American Economic Review, 78, 267-272.
- Klein, Lawrence R., 1950, Economic Fluctuations in the United States,
1921-1941, New York: Wiley, Cowles Monograph No. 11.
- __________, and Arthur S. Goldberger, 1955, An Econometric Model of the
United States 1929-1952, Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Kouri, Penti J. K., 1976, "The Exchange Rate and the Balance of Payments in
the Short Run and in the Long Run," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2,
- Krane, Spencer D., and Steven N. Braun, 1989, \ "Production Smoothing
Evidence from Physical-Product Data," mimeo.
- Kydland, F.E., and E.C. Prescott, 1982, "Time To Build and Aggregate
Fluctuations," Econometrica, 50, 1342-1370.
- Lilien, David M., 1982, "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment," Journal
of Political Economy, 90, 777-793.
- Lucas, Robert E., Jr., 1976, "Econometric Policy Evaluation: A
Critique," in K. Brunner and A.H. Meltzer, eds., The Phillips Curve and Labor
Markets, Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- __________, 1987, Models of Business Cycles, New York: Blackwell.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1970, Statistical Methods of Econometrics, Amsterdam:
- __________, 1991, "Econometric Methodology at the Cowles Commission: Rise
and Maturity," in Cowles Fiftieth Anniversity, Yale University.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, and David Romer, eds., 1991, New Keynesian Economics,
Volumes 1 and 2, Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, Julio J. Rotemberg, and Laurence H. Summers, 1985,
"Intertemporal Substitution in Macroeconomics," Quarterly Journal of
Economics, 100, 225-251.
- McCallum, B. T., 1976, "Rational Expectations and the Natural Rate
Hypothesis: Some Consistent Results," Econometrica, 44, 43-52.
- McNees, Stephen K., 1981, "The Methodology of Macroeconometric Model
Comparisons," in J. Kmenta and J. B. Ramsey, eds., Large Scale Macroeconometric
Models, Amsterdam: North-Holland, 397-442.
- Mizon, Grayham and Richard, Jean-Francois, 1986, "The Encompassing Principle
and Its Application to Testing Non-Nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, 54,
- Mortensen, Dale T., 1970, "A Theory of Wage and Employment Dynamics,"
in E. S. Phelps et al., Microeconomic Foundations of Employment and Inflation Theory,
New York: Norton, 167-211.
- Murphy, Kevin M., and Robert H. Topel, 1985, "Estimation and Inference in
Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics,
- Myhrman, Johan, 1976, "Balance-of-Payments Adjustment and Portfolio Theory:
A Survey," in E. Claassen and P. Salin, eds., Recent Developments in
International Monetary Economics, Amsterdam: North-Holland, 203-237.
- Nelson, Charles R., 1972, "The Prediction Performance of the FRB-MIT-Penn
Model of the U.S. Economy," American Economic Review, 62, 902-917.
- Okun, Arthur M., 1971, "The Personal Tax Surcharge and Consumer Demand,
1968-70," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 167-204.
- Orcutt, Guy H., 1948, "A Study of the Autoregressive Nature of the Time
Series Used for Tinbergen's Model of the Economic System of the United States,
1919-1932," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 1-45.
- __________, and Herbert S. Winokur, Jr., 1969, "First Order Autoregression:
Inference, Estimation, and Prediction," Econometrica, 37, 1-14.
- Parke, William R., 1982, "An Algorithm for FIML and 3SLS Estimation of Large
Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, 50, 81-96.
- Patinkin, Don, 1956, Money, Interest, and Prices, New York: Harper
- Phelps, Edmund S., 1970, "Money Wage Dynamics and Labor Market
Equilibrium," in E. S. Phelps et al., Microeconomic Foundations of Employment and
Inflation Theory, New York: Norton, 124-166.
- Phelps, Edmund S., and Sidney G. Winter, Jr., 1970, ~"Optimal Price Policy
Under Atomistic Competition," in E. S. Phelps et al., Microeconomic Foundations
of Employment and Inflation Theory, New York: Norton, 309-337.
- Phelps, Edmund S., et al., 1970, Microeconomic Foundations of Employment and
Inflation Theory, New York: Norton.
- Pigou, Arthur C., 1929, Industrial Fluctuations, 2nd ed., London:
- Poole, William, 1970, "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a
Simple Stochastic Macro Model," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 84, 197-216.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1987, "Ultimate Sources of Aggregate Variability," American
Economic Review, 77, 87-92.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1980, "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica,
- __________, 1993, "A Nine-Variable Probabilistic Macroeconomic Forecasting
Model," in James H. Stock and Mark W. Watson, eds., Business Cycles, Indicators,
and Forecasting, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 179-204.
- Stigler, George J., 1961, "The Economics of Information," Journal
of Political Economy, 69, 213-225.
- Stock, James H., and Mark W. Watson, 1989, "New Indexes of Coincident and
Leading Economic Indicators," Discussion Paper No. 178D, John Fitzgerald Kennedy
School of Government, Harvard University, April.
- Stoker, Thomas M., 1986, "Simple Tests of Distributional Effects on
Macroeconomic Equations," Journal of Political Economy, 94, 763-795.
- Taylor, John B., 1980, "Output and Price Stability: An International
Comparison," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 2, 109-132.
- __________, 1988, "Policy Analysis with a Multicountry Model," NBER
- __________, and Harald Uhlig, 1990, "Solving Nonlinear Stochastic Growth
Models: A Comparison of Alternative Solution Methods," Journal of Business and
Economic Statistics, 8, 1-21.
- Tinbergen, J., 1939, Statistical Testing of Business Cycle Theories,
Geneva: League of Nations.
- Tinsley, P. A., and P. von zur Muehlen, 1983, "Conditional Intermediate
- Tobin, James, 1982, "Financial Structure and Monetary Rules," Geld,
Banken und Versicherungen, Band 1 (VVW, Karlsruhe).
- Triplett, Jack E., 1992, "Economic Theory and BEA's Alternative Quantity and
Price Indexes," Survey of Current Business, 72, 49-52.
- Turnovsky, S., 1975, "Optimal Choice of Monetary Instrument in a Linear
Economic Model with Stochastic Coefficients," Journal of Money, Credit, and
Banking, 7, 51-80.
- White, Halbert, 1980, "A Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix
Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, 48,
- White, Halbert, and Ian Domowitz, 1984, "Nonlinear Regression with Dependent
Observations," Econometrica, 52, 143-161.
- Yoshikawa, H., 1981, "Alternative Monetary Policies and Stability in a
Stochastic Keynesian Model," International Economic Review, 22, 541-565.
- Young, Allan H., 1992, "Alternative Measures of Change in Real Output and
Prices," Survey of Current Business, 72, 32-48.